- Learning a language enriches the curriculum. It provides excitement, enjoyment and challenge for pupils, helping to create enthusiastic learners and to develop positive attitudes to language learning throughout life.
- Our Spanish curriculum ensures that, through carefully planned and sequenced lessons, pupils are able to speak with increasing confidence, fluency and spontaneity. They are provided with opportunities to communicate what they want to say in different ways, including through discussion and asking questions.
- The regular teaching of Spanish ensures pupils continually improve the accuracy of their pronunciation and intonation. They build on what they know and remember so that they are able to write using a variety of grammatical structures that they have learnt.
- Our intent is that the teaching of Spanish in KS2 provides an appropriate balance of spoken and written language and lays the foundations for further foreign language teaching at KS3.
- Our Spanish curriculum is designed to progressively develop pupils’ skills in learning a language, through regular taught lessons.
- Pupils develop, use and apply a growing bank of vocabulary organised around topics. They are encouraged and supported to develop their speaking and listening skills through conversational work, singing activities and games. As confidence and skill grows, pupils record their work on their iPads through pictures, captions, sentences, recording of voice and video.
- The use of iLanguages supports pupils to understand and respond to spoken and written language from a variety of authentic sources.
- Pupils are provided with opportunities to develop their confidence, fluency and spontaneity. They find ways of communicating what they want to say, including through discussion and asking questions, whilst continually improving the accuracy of their pronunciation and intonation.
- Planned written tasks allow pupils to write at varying length, for different purposes and audiences, using the variety of grammatical structures that they have learnt. They also discover and develop an appreciation of a range of writing in the language studied.
- Pupils develop a passion for Spanish and a growing curiosity about the learning of languages.
- They will know more, remember more and understand more Spanish vocabulary.
- Confidence in communicating in Spanish developed over time.
- Work on iPads demonstrates that pupils are developing their language, knowledge and skills in Spanish.
Please find available for download the Languages Primary National Curriculum.